• no-image
    Posted by

    Motorcycle Accidents Are Part of the Risk You Accept If You Want to Ride

    May 5, 2018

    If ever there was a place that is ideal for riding a motorcycle, it is Southern California. With miles of beautiful coastline up and down Pacific Coast Highway, and pretty much perfect weather all year round, it’s no surprise that thousands of riders take to the roads every day.

    But while the joys of riding are well documented, the sheer number of riders means that motorcycle accidents are also an unfortunate part of this lifestyle.

    In fact, some of the statistics on motorcycle accidents are eye opening:

    • Motorcycle riders accounted for 14% of all traffic fatalities
    • Per vehicle mile traveled, the risk of a fatal crash for motorcyclists is 35 times greater than a passenger car.
    • 75% of motorcycle accidents involve a motorcycle and passenger car. The remaining 25% were single motorcycle accidents.
    • Weather is not a factor in 98% of all motorcycle accidents.

    Perhaps the most important statistic to note, in multiple vehicle accidents, is that the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle’s right-of-way and caused the accident in two thirds of those accidents. Translated, this means that other vehicle operators tend to be reckless and negligent when it comes to violating the rights of motorcycle riders.

    Proving Negligence is The Key to Winning a Motorcycle Accident Case

    Just like in any other personal injury case, an attorney who represents a motorcycle rider will need to prove negligence by the other party to win a motorcycle accident claim in Irvine. Inattentive drivers, road and construction hazards, poor signage, and a host of other things help strengthen a case – as long as it can be shown that a motorcycle rider exercised the right level of caution. This is bolstered by the fact that courts often times take into account is that because riders have much less protection than cars, they are prone to being much safer and more vigilant on the road.

    Roberts Law Firm serves clients in the California cities of Newport Beach, Orange, Santa Ana, Irvine, Anaheim, and Riverside as well as serving clients throughout Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties.

    • Share Button