What You Should Know If a Loved One is Involved in a Fatal Accident

Few things in life are more devastating than losing a loved one unexpectedly in a fatal accident. You and your family members will be shaken to the core, emotionally and financially, as you come to grips with what has happened.

However, if the accident is the result of another person’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for your loss.

There are several important things you should know and that an experienced fatal accident attorney can help you with if you find yourself in this unfortunate situation.

The most important of these is that when you file a wrongful death claim, to win a judgment, you will need to prove that another person’s reckless, negligent action or inaction was the direct cause of your loved one’s death. While all wrongful death cases have different sets of circumstances, the one thing they share in common is that there is a distinct set of actions a fatal accident attorney in Santa Ana must take to prove negligence.

There Are Also Several Things to Know Regarding Fatal Accident Cases in California

While proving negligence is a common denominator in all fatal accidents, there are certain rules that apply to these cases in California.

  • There is a two-year statute of limitations to file a wrongful death suit. This timeframe begins on the day the person died.
  • A victim’s spouse has the first right to file a claim, followed by children, grandchildren, and then other remaining family members.
  • Heirs can sue for damages that include medical and funeral expenses, a loss of anticipated income, a loss of companionship and affection, a loss of financial support, and pain and suffering the decedent may have endured prior to their death.

For additional answers to commonly asked questions about wrongful death cases, go here.

Roberts Law Firm serves clients in the California cities of Newport Beach, Orange, Santa Ana, Irvine, Anaheim, and Riverside as well as serving clients throughout Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties.

Comments are closed.